Relaxation and stress relief are the main results of hot tubs and spas. However, did you know there are many more health benefits to warm water therapy? Heat, buoyancy and massage are the three main healing factors of warm water therapy, resulting in a relaxing experience that relieves stress AND provides a variety of health benefits when used in conjunction. Anything from arthritis to stress can be controlled by the use of hot tubs and spas.
Here are the top 2016 health benefits of spas.
1. Arthritis. If you suffer from arthritis, you know there’s no better relief than soaking in a spa or hot tub. In addition to loosening the joints, such immersion in warm bubbly water reduces the force of gravity compressing the joints, decreases swelling and inflammation, and boosts your circulation. In fact, the Arthritis Foundation says this form of alternative therapy helps a variety of musculoskeletal conditions, including fibromyalgia, lower back pain and arthritis.
2. Stress and sleep. Endorphins that reduce stress are released when the body is massaged by warm water and hydrotherapy jets. This also helps dilate blood vessels and keep headaches away. If you have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, take a soak in a hot tub or spa before heading to bed to ease the transition so you get a restorative night’s sleep.
3. Diabetes. Using a hot tub every day can lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels to result in a higher quality of life for diabetics. Studies have shown that hydrotherapy can control the effects of diabetes, reducing the average blood sugar level by 10 to 15 percent.
4. Multiple sclerosis and cerebral palsy. Spas and hot tubs can help with depression, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, bursitis, tendonitis and scoliosis. It also gives you muscle relaxing and joint loosening benefits if you suffer from debilitating muscle diseases such as multiple sclerosis and cerebral palsy.
5. Muscle and joint pain. Athletes have known for many years the positive effects of hydrotherapy on the muscles and joints. Hot tubs not only loosen and relax the skin, but also increase blood circulation to injured areas. They also encourage the flow of nutrients to repair any damage that may have occurred.
All those hydrotherapy studies revealing the health benefits of hot tubs and spas can’t be wrong: there are several reasons why you should immerse yourself in warm water with massage jet action. Relax your muscles, lower your blood pressure, feel stress melt away, and loosen your joints.